One of the main tasks of Cuban customs, like that of all customs in the world, is to protect the population and the territory through the fight against drug traffic, contraband and terrorism. For this reason, persons and goods entering and leaving Cuba are subject to checks at the airport.
Cuba Airport Customs will ask you for the following documents:
- Medical insurance
- Identity Card
- Air return ticket
- Address of your stay in Cuba
For further information, read all our travel tips in Cuba!
You can access Cuba with personal effects as new or used item for personal use and for the duration of your trip (photographic material, musical instruments, computers, camping tents, bicycles and sports equipment).
If you bring with you items you want to import to Cuba you will need to complete a Customs Declaration for travellers. Please note that cash entry into Cuba is free, but also in this case you will have to fill in a declaration if you exceed USD 5000.
In case of animals, access to Cuba of domestic animals is permitted if they have a vaccination certificate issued by the competent health authority of the country of origin.
It is forbidden to import drugs, explosives, pornography of any kind, light motor vehicles and endangered species into Cuba. In addition, refrigerators, irons and anything that may affect Cuba’s energy consumption cannot be imported.
Below is a list of the products you can bring from Cuba:
- A maximum quantity of 50 unpackaged cigars or in boxes (for larger quantities it is mandatory to present the receipt of purchase, in the absence of this the products will be subjected to confiscated)
- 5000 USD or equivalent in other currencies
- A maximum amount of 100 pesos of national currency and 200 pesos in CUC
- Maximum 4 bottles of rum or other alcoholic beverages
- Objects related to art and cultural heritage for which it is always good to request and keep the receipt of the purchase.
Now that you know the rules that travellers must respect at Cuban Custom, you are ready to leave!
If you need more tips before your trip, read all the useful information we have prepared for you!